Climate Change – the quiz!
Think you know about climate change? Are you sure?
Then why not try this quiz, set by researcher, presenter and UK editor of NEXUS magazine, Marcus Allen? It will test your knowledge and perhaps shake some of your assumptions too (answers at the bottom, but don’t cheat!)
1. By how many degrees Celsius has the world warmed during the past 20 years?
a) 0.3ºC b) 0.8ºC c) 1.5ºC
2. By how many degrees Celsius has the world warmed since the pre-industrial period? a) 10ºC b) 3ºC c) 1ºC
3. It is thought there were between 5,000 and 15,000 polar bears alive in 1960. How many polar bears are alive today?
a) more than 28,000 b) 5,000 – 10,000 c) fewer than 4,000
4. What share of the world energy consumption is met by wind and solar energy?
a) 2.6% b) 0.8% c) 8.4%
5. Since the 1920s, what has happened to the number of people killed by extreme weather events?
a) increased by more than 90% b) decreased by more than 90% c) remained stable
6. What is the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere? a) 40% b) 4% c) 0.04%
7. What does the IPCC (Intergovenmental Panel on Climate Change) say about flooding? a) strong evidence and high confidence in a positive trend b) lack of evidence and low confidence regarding any trend c) medium confidence in a negative trend
8. Fossil fuels accounted for 81% of world energy usage in 2017. What is this figure predicted to be in 2040? a) 32% b) 74% c) 56%
9. What proportion of new car sales in Europe were plug-in electric vehicles in 2017? a) 1.74% b) 2.86% c) 5.73%
10. Between 1981 and 2015 the proportion of people in the world living in extreme poverty has a) increased by 18% b) decreased by 18% c) decreased by 78%
11. What has happened to the global area burned by fires during the years 1998 to 2017? a) increased by 32% b) increased by 68% c) decreased by 24%
12. Since 1982 what has happened to global tree cover? a) decreased by 13% b) decreased by 6% c) increased by 7%
Answers to quiz:
1. (a) 2. (c) 3. (a) 4. (a) 5. (b) 6. (c) 7. (b) 8. (b) 9. (a) 10. (c) 11. (c) 12 (c)